Monday, April 30, 2007

4/30/07

1. Do your best not to judge others, especially on the basis of their outward appearances.

There's a story that goes with this. Yesterday, while giving blood, I noticed a young Orthodox Jewish woman on the adjustable cot across from me. A natural beauty, she was reading from a small prayer book. Fine, I thought. That's nice. But I also thought: What a tiny little world she's creating for herself. Her consciousness is stuck in that little siddur while the world is going on around her. Then, one of the technicians came to check up on her, and a dialog ensued. It turned out that she and the technician, a man from Pakistan, had a great deal to talk about. From the snippets of conversation that wafted my way, it was clear that both participants in the discussion were worldly, well-traveled, extremely well-educated and more aware of current events than I am. In short, the woman was not the person I had assumed she was. Lesson learned, hopefully.

2. Think of something you've been holding on to for a long time -- something you'd like to let go of.

3. Let go.

No comments: