Friday, May 18, 2007

5/18/07

Again today, just one suggestion:

I had a dream last night, in which one of the characters did something I believe is worth sharing: Every evening before going to bed, he spent a few minutes summarizing what he had experienced that day. He spoke this nightly review into a digital recorder, but I suppose it could just as effectively be done on paper, or aloud, or in one's mind.

I am aware that lots of people already do something similar, often in the form of a journal. If you're one of them, great. If not, give the "nightly review" a try. I will, too.

Two dangers come to mind. One is that while doing this mental recap, one is not quite fully in the moment. My suggested solution: Keep it short. The other hazard -- a far greater one, in my estimation -- is the potential for judgment and blame and shame. To avoid this, try sticking to a dispassionate recall of the day's events -- not a laundry list of "how I screwed up," but a simple, straightforward accounting of what went on.

No comments: